2-3 lbs whole 16/20 shrimp, cleaned, deveined, with tail left on
2 cups corn flakes
2 cups beer batter (see below for recipe)
2 cups coconut, shredded
6-8 cups coconut oil
1-2 tsp salt and pepper added to your flour dredge
flour, for dredging
Beer Batter Recipe:
5-6 cups all-purpose flour, start with 5 and add more if batter is too runny
18 oz of a good dark beer that is equal to about 1 1/2 beers
1. Heat the coconut oil to about 350 degrees or medium high heat
2. Make your beer batter mixture.
3. Mix the corn flakes and coconut and hold until you are ready for them. The whole process is really quick after this step.
4. Add the shrimp to the flour dredge and coat until covered.
5. Dip the shrimp holding it by the tail into the beer batter mixture, and when well coated, roll into your cornflake coconut mixture. Press down if needed to get a good coating on your shrimp.
6. Add to the hot oil and cook until golden brown.
7. Remove and add to a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Serve and enjoy!